Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Steve Spurrier calls out columnist, won't speak with him there



South Carolina Coach Steve Spurrier had an unprecedented weekly news conference Tuesday, as he called out Ron Morris, a columnist with The State, that he said has reported something that isn't true, and refused to hold the news conference with Morris in the room.

Spurrier always meets with the media at noon on Tuesday before a game. But before this week's announcement started, Spurrier stood in front of reporters and gave his side of the story.

Spurrier said he was upset over a report written last spring about wide receiver Bruce Ellington's decision to join the football team. Ellington was the starting point guard for the basketball team last year.

Here is what Spurrier said.

"This has been weighing on my, on my chest, and I'm getting it off my chest right here today," Spurrier began.

"As all of you know we've got a negative guy over here that tries to hurt our football program. He's got a right to do that. The criticism he shows me is okay. I don't mind that."

"I just don't like stories that aren't true, and last spring he wrote a story about me recruiting Bruce Ellington, and luring him away from the basketball program, and raiding and jilting Coach [Darrin] Horn. A completely fabricated story, and I took exception to that, but that's the only thing I take exception from a sportswriters..when they write stuff that isn't true."

"I didn't talk to Bruce Ellington until after he had met with coach Horn and he came over here. Completely untrue story."

"In 26 years as a head coach, I've had have two guys that didn't write the truth that I had to disassociate with. He's one of them over here. (Pointing to Morris). Another one was...at Florida in 94, so in 26 years I've had two guys. And then I've learned that since he sits in on all these meetings it's basically...I'm helping him to contribute writing negative stuff about our football program, simple as that."

"So I'm not gonna talk when he's in here. That's my right as a head coach. I don't have to talk to him, and I don't have to talk to him when he's in here so what we're going to do. All you tv guys I'm gonna do a personal interview with you in this other room and the writers that are still left in here I'll come back and talk to you right after that."

We'll do individual interviews with all you tv guys...ok? everybody for that?"

Spurrier then left the room.

News19 has asked Ron Morris and the State for comment and have not yet heard back.

No comments:

Post a Comment