Saturday, October 22, 2011

Revis told to hang up on radio host



Darrelle Revis shuts down wide receivers - and radio hosts.

The New York Jets All-Pro cornerback abruptly hung up during a radio interview Friday, at the urging of Jared Winley, the team's director of media relations, when the conversation turned testy.

Mike Francesa was talking to Revis by phone on 660 WFAN in New York for a few minutes when he tried to get the cornerback to acknowledge that he committed a penalty on Miami wide receiver Brandon Marshall before his 100-yard interception return for a touchdown Monday night.

''You know you can't touch him like that down the field,'' Francesa said.

Revis denied committing a penalty, saying, ''if you know football and you watch the film, you can see he was tripping and that was the only thing I could do is put my hands out.''

But a laughing Francesa refused to accept Revis' explanation.

''I can say whatever I want to say,'' said an increasingly agitated Revis, one of the Jets' most accessible and media-friendly players. ''Did the ref throw the flag?''

No penalty was called, and Revis' interception return tied for the longest in franchise history. But Francesa insisted all week during his radio show that a penalty should have been called on Revis.

Both Revis and Francesa continued to go back and forth for a few minutes before the radio host said the cornerback was ''the only one in the world who doesn't think that was a penalty.''

Revis said he didn't care what anyone thought, and Winley jumped into the interview.

''Darrelle, Darrelle,'' he said. ''Stop.''

Francesa asked Winley to identify himself, and then Revis shot back: ''This is why no one wants to get interviewed by you.''

Moments later, Winley told Revis to hang up and end the interview.

''In my judgment, given the tone of the interview, I should have asked Mike to move on to another topic, instead of instructing Darrelle to hang up the phone,'' Winley said in a statement. ''That was an error on my part. I've called Mike's producer and I apologized.''

The radio station also issued a statement saying that Francesa accepted the apology.

Francesa rarely has Jets players or coaches as guests on his show. The team's flagship station is 1050 ESPN Radio, but some players, such as safety Jim Leonhard and former wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, have made paid appearances on WFAN.

''Now I lost the last Jet I can talk to,'' Francesa said a few moments after Revis hung up. ''Now I have no Jets to talk to. Well, what can I do?''

No comments:

Post a Comment